Dear Parents /Carers
I hope you and your family have had a good week and remain safe and well. It’s been a busy week here in Holy Rood and pupils are engaging well in their learning. A reminder that generic announcements for all parents are at the start of this update and specific announcements for each Year Group will follow.
Health and Safety
We remain impressed with pupils’ cooperation and compliance with important health and safety guidelines. Pupils are wearing face coverings in corridors and social areas and S4-6 pupils continue to wear a face covering in classrooms in order to meet the Scottish Government tier 3 guidelines.
Catholic Education Weeks 2020
From the 16 – 30 November we are celebrating Catholic Education in Scotland. Pupils continue to explore this year’s theme, ‘The Way the Truth and the Life’, using the curricular resources produced by The Scottish Catholic Education Service. In RE, pupils have been reflecting on what makes a school Catholic and sharing why they are at a faith school.
Well done to all the pupils who have engaged so well in the S1- S3 Edinburgh SumDog Competition promoted in Maths. This has been running for the last six days, 83 pupils have taken part and have answered 8,799 questions!
Expressive Arts S2 pupils have been looking at the work of Scottish colourist painter Francis Cadell, and have had a go at recreating some seascapes inspired by his work. Here are some fantastic water colour paintings from Mr Ramsay’s class.
Karla Hart (our Careers Adviser) is available to answer any queries relating to future career options and subject choices. Pupils can arrange to meet with Karla via their Year Head or parents can email Karla directly (firstname.lastname@example.org). More information will follow early in the new year about the process for subject choice options for S2 and S4/5 pupils.
- S1 pupils have started work on the John Muir Award and are making excellent use of the school grounds. More on this in the December Learning and Teaching newsletter!
- From next week, S2 pupils will be engaging in two group sessions during PSE with our Career Adviser, Karla Hart. Pupils will discuss career pathways which willassist them in their preparation for subject choice options.
- S3 pupils will attend an Assembly on Equalities today when they will learn about our ongoing work in this area linked to our school values.
- is up and running. The timetable is available on our school website https://bit.ly/3piyiiT
- – Work experience has been postponed from our usual December timescale due to the restrictions in place across the city. The local authority is working with employers to establish a network of potential work experience placements for later in the school year, pending risk assessments and easing of restrictions. Pupils and parents/carers will be kept informed of any updates as we receive them in school.
- will take place in early January. We are finalising arrangements and will issue the dates of the Prelims as soon as possible.
- – is up and running. The timetable is available on our school website https://bit.ly/3piyiiT
Please contact Admin@Holyrood.edin.sch.uk with any general enquiries For further updates and information, please follow the school’s twitter feed @HolyRoodRCHigh or the school website https://www.holyroodrchighschool.co.uk
Joan Daly Head Teacher