Dear Parents and Carers
I hope everyone enjoyed a restful October break. It’s been a busy first week back and all pupils attended a whole school virtual assembly so that we could share consistent messages around health and safety, we also shared our expectations for the term ahead. It was great for everyone to hear from our School Captains and we look forward to the role they will play in leading the Pupil Voice this term.
COP 26 – What’s happening in Holy Rood?
Please find attached a brief update of what we’ve been up to in order that our pupils can learn more about COP26 and the potential impact of this event.
Black History Month
As October draws to a close, Black History Month has been celebrated and visible in so many areas of the school, with fabulous displays, including balloons and banners too!
- In Social Subjects, QR codes revealed more about important life-size figures displayed on classroom doors and the historical timeline gave us the information we needed to be able to participate in a quiz on the topic. Have a look by viewing the link :-https://twitter.com/i/status/1443838841023049759
- In Tutor Time, pupils have been learning about Andrew Watson and Mary Seacole and testing their knowledge in a Kahoot Quiz!
- An audience of 50 S1-6 pupils participated in an interactive video call with Author Alex Wheatle and the International Slave Museum. In the audience listening to Alex, at least 15 of the pupils had borrowed copies of his book, “Cane Warriors” to read over the half-term break. This was a very informative session and really helped pupils understand the historical context of the slave trade and see genuine artefacts from the museum. Many thanks to staff in Social Subjects, our School Librarian and the Scottish Book Trust for enabling this event to take place.
- In Expressive Arts, pupils and staff could understand more about famous artists, actors and musicians through new displays. Pupils studying drama were treated to an interactive video call with LA Actor John Eric Bentley. John spoke about Black History Month, his career pathway as a working actor and then answered questions from our pupils. This included invaluable advice on studying hard, being kind and compassionate and believing in yourself. A true inspiration!
- S1-3 pupils have been celebrating black artists across the arts, using the Proud to be campaign:-
Proud to be a Musician, pupils have been learning about Bob Marley, Sheku Kanneh-Mason, Scott
Joplin and Louis Armstrong
Proud to be an Artist, pupils have been learning about the Highway men and then created Scottish landscape pieces
Proud to be an Actor, pupils have focused on Vashti Harrison (writer), John Eric Bentley (Actor) and Kwame-Kwei-Armah (Artistic Director)
Pupils have been learning about the impact these artists made in history and the importance of their contribution to society.
- Our Equalities Committee has lots of new members and pupils showed their support of the 25th anniversary of Show Racism the Red Card by wearing red on non-uniform day and raising £465!
Dates for your diary
|Wednesday 3 November||S2 and S3 Interim Reports to Parents/Carers|
|Monday 8 November||S4/5/6 Parents’ Information Evening “Make the Senior School Matter” Advice to Support you and your Child with Exams. Click on link to book a place:- https://forms.office.com/r/ydnhcLCP01 Please book a place by Tues 2 November.|
|Thursday 11 November||S3 Parents’ Meeting (information will be emailed to S3 parents in the coming week)|
|Tuesday 23 November||S5/6 Parents’ Meeting|
A date for the upcoming S1 Information Evening, with a link to book will be communicated next week.
Please contact us if you have any questions we can assist you with Admin@Holyrood.edin.sch.uk