Dear Parents and Carers
Return of Senior Phase Learners
We are delighted that from next week, we will welcome back our senior phase learners who are required to engage in practical work in relation to SQA qualifications in 2021. To facilitate the return of these S4, S5 and S6 pupils, we have put in place a new temporary timetable. This will commence on Monday
22 February and will run until we receive a further Scottish Government update. The timetable is based on a capped number of pupils each day and will run on a 2-week rotation.
We have liaised closely with Curriculum Leaders to ensure that the timetable best meets the needs of pupils and our school context.
The subjects included at the current time for S4 are Art, Drama, Practical Cookery, Graphic Communication, Practical Woodwork, Design & Manufacture, Administration, Computing, Science & Technology and French.
The subjects included at the current time for S5/6 are Art, Drama, Food & Textile Technology, Health and Food Technology Practical Cookery, Cake Craft, Graphic Communication, Practical Woodwork, Design & Manufacture, Engineering Skills, Administration, Computing, Laboratory Science, French and Italian.
The timetable can be viewed on the school website via the link:- Timetable
Pupils will be informed by class teachers via TEAMS which days they will attend school and if they are in school for a morning session, afternoon session or all day. Pupils can only attend for the named subjects and if they have been contacted in advance.
- If for any reason your son/daughter is unable to attend a class on a given day, please contact the school office with a reason for his/her absence.
- Pupils may wish to remain in school for the full day in order to travel home via school transport, and all pupils will be supervised when they are not in an assigned class.
- Please note that pupils will not necessarily be taught by their normal class teacher.
- It is essential that pupils catch up on any live inputs, remote learning and liaise closely with their other class teachers to ensure that key tasks/activities are overtaken for all subjects.
- We regret that we are unable to reschedule these pre-arranged sessions and would urge you to ensure that your son/daughter arrives on time.
Health and Safety
Our plans reflect risk mitigations and we ask for your support in reiterating important health and safety messages with your son/daughter.
- Pupils must wear a suitable face covering in school at all times, including when travelling to school on public or school transport.
- 2m distancing must be strictly adhered to, including on school buses.
- Pupils are asked to sanitise hands on arrival and on entering each classroom/work space.
- Asymptomatic Testing – these voluntary tests will be made available for pupils attending school should only be used by pupils who do not have any symptoms of Covid-19 and have not tested positive for Covid-19 in the last 90 days, further information regarding this testing will be sent to those pupils who are due to attend school over the next three weeks.
- Pupils under the age of 16 years require parental consent and those pupils over the age of 16 years can sign their own consent form. Tests should be completed at home and pupils will be issued with full instructions.
During this period of limited pupil access, our school expectations remain unchanged. All pupils should arrive prepared with appropriate resources for each subject.
- During this time when undertaking these practical activities, pupils do not have to wear school uniform and should wear warm clothing which is appropriate for well ventilated classrooms and workshops.
- The school day will start and finish at the normal times, however there is likely to be a slight alteration to break/lunch times. This will be communicated to pupils on arrival.
- All senior pupils will be required to enter and exit the school via the PE entrance and should report immediately to the appropriate faculty/subject teacher. Please note school staff will be on hand to assist with the arrival of pupils.
- Pupils can purchase lunch in the school canteen or bring a packed lunch and arrangements will be in place for those pupils who are entitled to a free school meal.
- School buses will run as normal.
We are confident that this plan will allow senior pupils to continue to make progress with essential practical activities and their learning. We very much look forward to welcoming pupils back to school next week.
Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any further questions Admin@Holyrood.edin.sch.uk